[Xastir-dev] Weather Alert Test Cases Fail

Dan Srebnick k2dls at k2dls.net
Wed Aug 23 07:48:05 PDT 2017

I now know why the test cases fail!

There was a "temporary change" made in 2009 that altered Xastir from
the standard for counties/zones in order to accommodate viewing of
compressed-zone format alerts sent by Pete Loveall, AE5PL's server.

Backing out what appears to have been changed in alert.c and
recompiling now allows Xastir to work according to the spec and the
test cases succeed.

So is the temporary change necessary any more?  I am generating my own
alerts according to the standard and not do use AE5PL's feed.  So I
would prefer adhering to the standard.  I've spent a couple dozen hours
trying to sort through this because documentation, standards, and
reality did not align!

Comments, thoughts please?