[Xastir-dev] Weather Alert Test Cases Fail

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 08:01:22 PDT 2017

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017, Dan Srebnick wrote:

> I now know why the test cases fail!
>
> There was a "temporary change" made in 2009 that altered Xastir from
> the standard for counties/zones in order to accommodate viewing of
> compressed-zone format alerts sent by Pete Loveall, AE5PL's server.
>
> Backing out what appears to have been changed in alert.c and
> recompiling now allows Xastir to work according to the spec and the
> test cases succeed.
>
> So is the temporary change necessary any more?  I am generating my own
> alerts according to the standard and not do use AE5PL's feed.  So I
> would prefer adhering to the standard.  I've spent a couple dozen hours
> trying to sort through this because documentation, standards, and
> reality did not align!
>
> Comments, thoughts please?

Fun. Well, Pete's alerts and my alerts are the current standard. You might try my alerts off the Firenet servers to see if they're being received ok. It's likely that we didn't go back and tweak the test cases to correspond to the current "standard".

Dale Huguley generated alerts for many years, so defined the standard with those alerts. At some point he retired his server and we had to create new ones. Pete came along first and tweaked the format slightly, so Xastir and other APRS programs were tweaked to match. Sometime after that I wanted more alerts (to get closer to what Dale used to generate), so brought up my own server: It fills in some alerts that Pete doesn't generate.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS Usage Pages:  http://we7u.wetnet.net/usage.html