[Xastir-dev] How many years should we go back? (library compatibility)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 07:34:21 PST 2018

Watching all this activity from Tom makes me wonder if we should have a quick discussion about how many years we should attempt to maintain compatibility with odd features / odd libraries via #ifdef's?

As in we have #ifdef's for various ImageMagick "oopses" so that we can work around problems in the library, but some of these are MANY years back.

My proposal is that we shoot for 5 years back. If a library has deprecated a function and a new one replaced it 5 or more years ago, we should be good to replace that section of code with the new function w/o maintaining backwards compatibility with the earlier function call.

Any takers on 5 years? Different suggestions?

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/