[Xastir-dev] How many years should we go back? (library compatibility)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Feb 16 07:37:38 PST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 07:34:21AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Watching all this activity from Tom makes me wonder if we should have a quick discussion about how many years we should attempt to maintain compatibility with odd features / odd libraries via #ifdef's?
>
> As in we have #ifdef's for various ImageMagick "oopses" so that we can work around problems in the library, but some of these are MANY years back.
>
> My proposal is that we shoot for 5 years back. If a library has deprecated a function and a new one replaced it 5 or more years ago, we should be good to replace that section of code with the new function w/o maintaining backwards compatibility with the earlier function call.
>
> Any takers on 5 years? Different suggestions?

5 years seems reasonable to me.  Some distros are *extremely* conservative
and may have long term support versions (staring angrily at RHEL, frex).

The code I was thinking of whacking is actually there to support old versions
of Magick from over 15 years ago.  I think it should be very safe to clean
it out.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM