[Xastir-dev] scripts/get-NWSdata

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 18 13:52:21 PDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:22:52PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I'm used to running get-NWSdata from my source directory as root to snag
> down the NWS files for weather alerts. I tried that today from
> Xastir/scripts/ and it error-ed out. Turns out it uses the "values" file
> generated by the build. If you use a "build" directory that file ends up at
> "Xastir/build/scripts/value".
>
> The "values" file gets installed in "/usr/local/share/xastir/scripts" or
> similar so running the script from there is an option. I'm wondering if
> there's a better way of handing this. "values" and "values.pl" contain the
> $prefix variable contents used by Xastir scripts.
>
> - Could we write the path into scripts during the build?

Yes.  Exactly the same way that it's written into values.pl:  by making
a ".in" template for the script, an having the actual script be created
from the template by configure.

It is not much more trouble to do that than to jump through other, possibly
non-portable kludges.

> - Could we use the path derived from "which xastir" directly in scripts
> instead?
> - Some other method that gets rid of "values" and "values.pl"?

I have always found the "values" and "values.pl" thing to be goofy, and
think that the "right" way to do his would have been to have the scripts
generated at configure time.

> I'm not big into bourne/bash shell scripting so I'm not sure whether the
> above would be an improvement or how to implement for these types of
> scripts. For Perl scripts I can implement.
>
> "values" or "values.pl" are used by get-BOMdata, get-NWSdata, get-fcc-rac.pl,
> get-gnis, get-pop, icontable.pl, xastir-fixcfg.sh and xastir-migrate.sh
> scripts.

Do xastir-fixcfg.sh and xastir-migrate still have value in 2019?  Both scripts
exist *solely* to fix up installs of Xastir from prior to the Great Install
Reorg of 2003?   Do we really need to keep worrying about maintaining
a script to help someone with a 16-year old obsolete install upgrade to
the current build without simply starting from scratch?

> The fact that they get put elsewhere if you use a "build" directory is what
> led me to think about "values" and "values.pl".
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U        http://we7u.wetnet.net        http://www.sarguydigital.com

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM