[Xastir-dev] scripts/get-NWSdata

km5vy Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 18 13:58:41 PDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 01:55:18PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 1:52 PM Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:22:52PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
> > collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > >
> > > - Could we write the path into scripts during the build?
> >
> > Yes.  Exactly the same way that it's written into values.pl:  by making
> > a ".in" template for the script, an having the actual script be created
> > from the template by configure.
> >
> > It is not much more trouble to do that than to jump through other, possibly
> > non-portable kludges.
> >

> Cool. Maybe someone could do that? (BTW: Not me!)

I think I might be able to find a few round tuits tonight.  It is basically
a matter with moving all the scripts to <scriptname>.in, changing the
call to "values" with something like 'prefix="@prefix@"' (which is all that
values.in and values.pl.in have, really), and a few minor configure.ac and
Makefile.am hacks (basically copied from what's done with values.in and
values.pl.in).

It probably took me longer to write that than it will take to do.

> Do xastir-fixcfg.sh and xastir-migrate still have value in 2019?  Both
> > scripts
> > exist *solely* to fix up installs of Xastir from prior to the Great Install
> > Reorg of 2003?   Do we really need to keep worrying about maintaining
> > a script to help someone with a 16-year old obsolete install upgrade to
> > the current build without simply starting from scratch?
> >

> No. I think it's time to get rid of them.

Excellent.  Unneeded code removed is code debugged.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM