[Xastir-dev] Time for a new release?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Apr 19 11:30:19 PDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 11:04:56AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I would most definitely say yes, as long as the code settles for a bit and
> there aren't any glaring bugs that pop up.

Sadly, I really, really wanted to clean up the *ENORMOUS* number of warnings
that are spewed by all versions of GCC after 6.0 (my system now uses GCC 8,
which is even more crazy with the warnings) before the next release.  Some of
them are even errors that could cause buffer overruns, others are just
annoying nitpicks.  But the level of noise from an Xastir build on any
modern distro with a recent gcc is insane.  This was a gripe I received from
some users and package managers right before the LAST release, and I was
unwilling to hold that release up for that reason.  But I started working
on it right after the 2.1.0 release.

Unfortunately, it is a herculean effort and every time I think I have something
cleaned up a new version of gcc comes out and spews even more.   I started
working alphabetically (in the order that make processes them) and had
it completely free of warnings from gcc6 in all files from the ones starting
with "a" all the way up to maps.c before I ran out of time last year and
put it on the shelf.  And now that there has been a huge burst of cleanup
activity, I dusted it off and tried to get back to it, and those files all
throw NEW warnings from gcc8.

At this point my cleanup-warnings branch is basically no better than the
current master branch when it comes to warnings from gcc8.  I'm toying with
the idea of just abandoning it and starting over from scratch.

If we want to release again after we stabilize a little, I'd be OK with it,
but I really doubt I'll be able to get the warning issue in hand anytime this
month.  Unless, perhaps, someone would like to join in the fun and we could
divide up the work.

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 10:52 AM Jason Godfrey <godfreja at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Do people think we are about due for a new release? I think it has been
> > over a year. The download manager and GLONASS support has been added, plus
> > various bug fixes and code cleanup.
> >
> > I think there is still some script cleanup that needs to be done and maybe
> > a little bit of "bake time", but I thought I would get the discussion
> > going.
> >
> > - Jason
> >
> > --
> > "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to
> > verify their authenticity." - *Abraham Lincoln*
> >

> --
> Curt, WE7U        http://we7u.wetnet.net        http://www.sarguydigital.com

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM