[Xastir-dev] Time for a new release?

km5vy Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Apr 19 12:37:46 PDT 2019

Unfortunately, turning off warnings is a bad idea in this case.  Some of the
things it's warning about are really errors, such as misuse of snprintf
(extremely common in Xastir), using "sizeof" on a pointer to get the size of
the object pointed to by the object (in quite a number of places), and so
forth.

If we tell GCC to shut up, we miss those errors.

There are, of course, a number of these warnings that are just annoyance.
For example, it is very common in Xastir for us to use something like strncat
or snprintf very deliberatly to cause the copy operation to truncate the
source down into the size of the destination.  GCC8 warns us that the operation
could cause truncation, because the destination is smaller than the source.

But there are many, many more, and some are real errors.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:31:43PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM