[Xastir-dev] Time for a new release?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Apr 19 16:04:47 PDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:52:37PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <godfreja at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello.
>
> Do people think we are about due for a new release? I think it has been
> over a year. The download manager and GLONASS support has been added, plus
> various bug fixes and code cleanup.
>
> I think there is still some script cleanup that needs to be done and maybe
> a little bit of "bake time", but I thought I would get the discussion going.

So we can calibrate whether it's worth a new release, I went through and looked
through the git history and made a little list.

Other than some minor cleanup of scripts (which won't change or add function),
here's what's happened since the 2.1.0 release:

 - National Weather Service shapefile script updated, dbfawk files added
   for new versions of these shapefiles.

 - Compilation errors in OS X earlier than 10.6 fixed.

 - Tiger WMS server maps added.

 - GDAL and OGR support removed (it was never very functional).

 - Xastir builds are now reproducible (all binaries built from the same
   source code on the same system will have the same MD5 hash, because we
   no longer include the compilation date and time in the build).

 - Deprecated GraphicsMagick and ImageMagick function calls replaced with new
   API.

 - Download of tiled maps is now handled by a download manager running in
   a separate thread, dramatically improving map update speed.

 - Obsolete interface to old Tiger/Line map server removed (the server
   went down years ago and has been replaced by the WMS server with a
   completely different API).

 - OpenTrac decoding support removed.

 - Xastir no longer ships with a copy of an old version of shapelib
   source.  Shapelib support must now always be provided by an external
   library, since most distros have shapelib in their package management
   systems.

 - The embryonic "Xastir-qt" project has been moved to a separate
   repository.  "Xastir -V" will now cause Xastir to report its version
   number and exit.  The version number will contain the git SHA-1 hash
   if Xastir was built from a git clone.

 - Support for GNSS/Glonass/Beidou/Gallileo navigation receivers has been
   added to the existing GPS support.

 - Curt made some additional fixes to the ads and ais scripts.
--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM