[Xastir-dev] Travis-CI: gcc 8?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 23 17:47:22 PDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 05:39:02PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> We have Xastir building fairly cleanly on Travis-CI with three test cases:
>
> Ubuntu-14.04 max build
> Ubuntu-14.04 min build
> Ubuntu-16.04 max build
>
> Maybe what I should have said is that there aren't any Xastir code
> errors/warnings being shown on those three, but a few warnings appear due
> to problems inside the ImageMagick and Geotiff libraries.
>
> The OSX-10.13.3 build using the "clang" compiler is still showing quite a
> few warnings. Looks like really good stuff too as Clang is showing some
> warnings that GCC isn't, and some of them look like real problems in the
> code.
>
> Now... Many of us are running newer OS'es than Ubuntu-16.04, but the list
> of four above (including OSX) are all that are available on Travis-CI
> currently. Newer OS'es typically have a later release of GCC which shows
> more warnings (a good thing).
>
> There's another option for Travis-CI: Create another test case with a gcc8
> compiler:
>
> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/c/#gcc-on-linux
> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/installing-dependencies/#adding-apt-sources-1
>
> Tom & Jason: interested?

I looked quickly at that and decide it was more trouble than I was willing
to spend time on at the moment.  But it's a good idea to do.

I'm using GCC 8 on my BSD machine, and it's still throwing some warnings
(though they're way down from when I opened #24).

> I'm running OpenSuSE-15.0 on my laptop here which has gcc-7.4.0 and it
> shows more errors than the gcc-5.4.0 compiler on the Ubuntu-16.04 Travis-CI
> instance. Tom Russo is seeing more as well with his FreeBSD + Clang system.

I don't usually build with clang at the moment, coz on BSD you can't link in GM
with Clang, only IM.  I can do that now and then, but it's not the build I'd
use.  I just did it and the warnings that show up in that build are basically
the same ones as we're getting on the Travis OS X build.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM