[Xastir-dev] Travis-CI: gcc 8?

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:39:02 PDT 2019

We have Xastir building fairly cleanly on Travis-CI with three test cases:

Ubuntu-14.04 max build
Ubuntu-14.04 min build
Ubuntu-16.04 max build

Maybe what I should have said is that there aren't any Xastir code
errors/warnings being shown on those three, but a few warnings appear due
to problems inside the ImageMagick and Geotiff libraries.

The OSX-10.13.3 build using the "clang" compiler is still showing quite a
few warnings. Looks like really good stuff too as Clang is showing some
warnings that GCC isn't, and some of them look like real problems in the
code.

Now... Many of us are running newer OS'es than Ubuntu-16.04, but the list
of four above (including OSX) are all that are available on Travis-CI
currently. Newer OS'es typically have a later release of GCC which shows
more warnings (a good thing).

There's another option for Travis-CI: Create another test case with a gcc8
compiler:

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/c/#gcc-on-linux
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/installing-dependencies/#adding-apt-sources-1

Tom & Jason: interested?

I'm running OpenSuSE-15.0 on my laptop here which has gcc-7.4.0 and it
shows more errors than the gcc-5.4.0 compiler on the Ubuntu-16.04 Travis-CI
instance. Tom Russo is seeing more as well with his FreeBSD + Clang system.
--
Curt, WE7U        http://we7u.wetnet.net        http://www.sarguydigital.com