[Xastir] Mic-E problem.

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Aug 13 15:18:27 EDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Rolf Dahl wrote:

> Getting this info from FindU :
> Raw packet: LA7MHA-9>UWTWLL,SK5MR,SK0MM-5,SK0CC,SK5MK,SK5AD*,TRACE5-1,qAR,SM5NRK:`*)*l!];/>"5:}I Joenkjoeping.
>
> Then i do a "fetch findu trail" for LA7MHA-9 and the pos. fix are locatet:
>  08/13  00:14   57 47.500N  114 13.499W   126m    0km/h 165°  DO27VT
>
> The position Xastir decode is not corect.

I looked at this packet in detail, and one other one that I snagged
from findu.  I had to be careful to snag certain Mic-E packets this
way and not others, 'cuz Mic-E can contain unprintable characters.
Those characters of course won't show up on the findu web pages.

The problem is definitely in the Xastir Mic-E decoding.  We don't
correctly decode Mic-E packets that have position ambiguity.  We
just haven't gotten around to implementing that yet.  Very few
stations to date have used that feature.

Xastir decoded that station as West instead of East longitude, and
threw in the 100's longitude when it shouldn't have.  Xastir came up
with this position:

    5747.  N/11413.14W

Does it put the station in roughly the correct spot to change it to
this?

    5747.  N/01413.14E

Let me know if that's somewhere along the path of the station.  If
so, that let's me know that I'm on the right track too.

Thanks,

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin