[Xastir] New stuff

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Aug 13 18:53:24 EDT 2002

Latest stuff in the CVS version:
--------------------------------

Upside:

Another Mic-E bug found & fixed.

Support for a Shapefile map overlay containing outlines of the USGS
7.5' grid squares, and all of the names thereof.  Useful for finding
the name of the paper map in a hurry (like on SAR missions!).  The
overlay file is about 2MB for the entire U.S.

Support for severe storm objects added (thanks go to Gerry Wheeler
for the coding and Dale Huguley for the objects themselves).  This
stuff is just too cool!  Try it out!

New Perl script which can convert from UTM or Lat/Lon to:

    Decimal Degrees
    Degrees/Decimal Minutes
    Degrees/Minutes/Seconds
    UTM
    UMS (useful for Green Trails maps at least).

Thanks to Paul Lutt, KE7XT,  for the initial script that implemented
UMS conversion.  The script and associated Coordinate.pm module
should run on other operating systems as well.  We'll probably stick
them on our SAR laptops running the evil-OS (yea, I know.  I'm
working on that too).

Downside:

New bug found in the UTM conversion in Xastir.  It's off by about
100 meters in my area.  We'll figure this out and get this bug
squashed too.  Just so everybody's aware of it.  Use the Perl script
instead if 100 meters is critical to you.  The script output matches
the numbers my GPS comes up with.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin