[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-dev] New stuff

Gerry Creager n5jxs at tamu.edu
Tue Aug 13 19:10:58 EDT 2002

OK, so I've not downloaded and reviewed the new stufff yet, but how are
you evaluating the error with UTM?  If it's vice TIGER, the errors
associated with the projection against a lat/lon unprojected view are
significant.

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> Latest stuff in the CVS version:
> --------------------------------

> Downside:
>
> New bug found in the UTM conversion in Xastir.  It's off by about
> 100 meters in my area.  We'll figure this out and get this bug
> squashed too.  Just so everybody's aware of it.  Use the Perl script
> instead if 100 meters is critical to you.  The script output matches
> the numbers my GPS comes up with.

I'll try to look at this and see where things are falling out.  I've got
to revisit some things:  I think I can now display my local benchmark
and monument database (MapInfo-generated SHP file) so, if it works and I
can see stuff I have real accurate data to compare against.

In looking at your explanation, however, a thought just hit.

UTM anticipates a mercator projection.  GPS implies LAT/LON unprojected
("geographic projection").  There whall be variance, and you're up where
it's more accentuated.

Gerry