[Xastir] CVS Questions

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Aug 14 14:34:33 EDT 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, W8JSA wrote:

> The last time I tried to update via CVS I screwed it up so bad, I had to
> re-install RH. Is there a simple HOW-TO for CVS? I'm currently running
> 1.10, so do I really need to update? This is the first version I have
> any experience with so I don't know if it is broken. FWIW, I'm running
> RH 7.3 with all the lastest patches.

There have been some significant changes and bug fixes since 1.1.0.

CVS only requires you to type two lines to get going.  After that,
typing a single command will update you to the latest, then you can
do a compile/install and you'll be running what the developers are
running.

On the Sourceforge Xastir CVS page are the two lines.  In place of
"modulename" put "xastir".

I do it this way:

  mkdir src
  cd src
  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.xastir.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir login
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.xastir.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir co xastir

The last two commands will make an entry in your ~/.cvspass file
and then check out the full sources to the "xastir" subdirectory.

After I do it the first time, I just change to the src/xastir
directory and type:

  cvs update

That's it!

Make sure to leave the "CVS" subdirectories alone:  Those contain
bookkeeping info for CVS so that it knows where the CVS repository
is and which files you already have checked out.

If you happen to screw something up you can delete the xastir
directory at any time then do another checkout (the last command of
the group of four above) to get everything again.

Once you get used to CVS, you'll like it.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin