[Xastir] Question/suggestion

Dick Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Wed Aug 14 22:36:38 EDT 2002

"Curt Mills, WE7U" wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2002, Gerry Wheeler KG4NBB wrote:
>
> > Most of the time, my "ideas" have already been thought of by someone
> > else. Keeping in mind that I might just be repeating what went before...
>
> I have two things to say here:
> 1) Join the club.
> 2) Great minds think alike?
>
> > It has occurred to me that there should be a way to break apart the
> > functional blocks of Xastir, and perhaps some other programs, and build
> > them anew so they work together. What I'm thinking of is:
>
> Olivier echoed my thoughts on this.  We've talked about Xastir2 on
> the list before, which would be roughly the major blocks you're
> talking about, but the main block would be daemon that uses a real
> SQL database to store & manipulate the data.  The interfaces portion
> would connect to this daemon, as would the user interfaces.
> Multiple interfaces and multiple UI's could connect to it at once.
> The interfaces could be on different platforms and be written using
> entirely different methods and widgets.

I like everything talked about here, since my ideas on the subject are the
same.

For my own part, we discussed a couple of weeks ago about multiple map
windows.  I also have a separate request in at sourceforge to be able to sort
the station list by icon or other.  But really what I would like to do is be
able to pull up a map window with only a part of the whole data, like for
example, only motorcycle icons, or only digi's or whatever.  Having a sql
database built in the program and at my fingertips would make this very easy.
Station lists based on certain criteria, etc.  I could have local map window
with all stations heard on RF, and another map window, national, with only mc
trackers on any feed.

Another component not mentioned yet is messaging.  Using the built in
messaging features is pretty crude way of doing it.  Tying the central
database into an IRC server application makes more sence, if you could secure
it.

I assure you, that you don't want my help to write it.  Unless you want
everything screwed up.  (^8

Dick Reichenbach - KC8OBZ