[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-dev] NWAPRS Gathering Sept 7th (Washington State, USA)

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Aug 27 12:54:22 EDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Ken Koster wrote:

> Send me any ideas, etc.  I'll see what I can do with them

Show off the various kinds of maps, including USGS topos, DOS maps,
radar images, Palm maps, and Shapefiles (ESRI Tiger files).  Show
off the USGS quad overlay and GNIS.  Mention that all the maps are
free downloads.

Mention the on-line map sources, like TigerMap and Terraserver,
radar images, etc.  Mention the conversion script for converting
.INF files to .GEO, and for creating the .FGD file needed for some
topos.

Languages:  Bring Xastir up in Portuguese or similar to show it off.
Seven languages in all.

Interfaces:  Talk about the different ones supported, Serial KISS
TNC, AX.25, pico-mode, HSP, gpsd, serial TNC's.

Weather stations.  Mention support for them.  Mention the new
weather objects, show them if possible (logfile?).

Operating systems:  Mention all the ones it runs on, including Mac
OS X and Lindows.

Objects & Items:  Show the different types, how they're moved, how
to do beam heading objects and Omni-DF objects.

Show how to measure distances.

Coordinate conversions:  Show Xastir's dialog and show the Perl
scripts that do it.  Also show the permutations script and how it
creates a log file containing the different permutations on the
coordinate.  make mention of Maidenhead grid and the UMS system
(latter used by King County SAR on Green Trails maps).

Show off the waypoint creation mode on the Garmin map screen (just
like the Kenwoods can do).

Show how to download Garmin tracks and waypoints, displaying them on
the Xastir screen (perl scripts again).

Mention that it's a full igate.

Mention the price:  Checks in the amount of $0.00 may be sent to Ken
Koster, N7IPB, at his QRZ address.

Mention that there are 10 developers and the project is in constant
active development, unlike a few other APRS programs (three
Sproul-bros. projects?).

Not sure if I forgot any of the cool features.  Probably a few
things on the menus here and there that are interesting.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin