[Xastir] Tigermap error

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Oct 8 13:46:30 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, pd wrote:

> /var/tmp did indeed include a file named "xastir_root_map.gif" which appeared
> to be a map of the area I had in the display window at the time.  That is,
> not a map I already had, but it covered the correwct region.  This would
> suggest that the fetch worked.  wget is there.

I found this on the ImageMagick web pages:

Note that since Unisys claims a patent on the LZW algorithm
(expiring in 2003) used by GIF, ImageMagick binary distributions do
not include support for the LZW algorithm so GIF files are written
uncompressed. Users are recommended to use the PNG or JPEG formats
instead, and should consult the Unisys LZW web page before enabling
LZW support.

Perhaps the Debian ImageMagick package decided to leave out LZW
support from ImageMagick, so you can't read it using library calls?

Trying the "display filename" command will let us know, 'cuz
"display" is an ImageMagick command.  If it can't display it, we
know where the trouble lies.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin