[Xastir] XASTIR install?????

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sun Oct 27 01:18:40 EST 2002

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 11:24:55PM -0600, patrick friend wrote:
> ok, I admit it, I am stupid. I read the whole book (Learning Red Hat Linux)
> and I finally got the energy to install Red Hat (took 2 tries to get the x
> configured and working right) but everything seems to be ok now. I can get
> online with it. I downloaded Xastir, read the docs and the faq but there
> does not seem to be an installation guide. I click on it and get a blank
> page, from the Linux box (Netscape) as well as here on my Win (Explorer)
> machine. Can someone please tell me how to get it up and running? tried
> typing "xastir &" from terminal window and I get "command not found"...tried
> using the RPM thing to install it and it says no package found. So help
> someone....oh, yeah, here's the particulars:
> It's a dedicated aprs/amatuer radio machine,
> networked through hardware router to cable modem,
> RedHat v7.2 using X and GNOME,
> Celeron 700,
> 30gig HDD,
> 256mb ram,
> 512mb swap file,
> Kam plus with newest firmware,
> yaesu ft1500 2m rig.

You didn't mention what file it was that you downloaded.  Is it the
tarball from http://xastir.sourceforge.net or something different.
RPM will only work with a .rpm package.  Possibly Red Hat or someone
else packages Xastir, but the package may not be up-to-date (Xastir
changes quite frequently, CVS will help you keep updated).

If you have the .tar.gz archive, uncompress/unarchive it and read the
README.1ST file.  This will answer nearly all of your questions
relative to installing Xastir and maps.  With a high speed connection,
such as with a cable modem, you don't even need to install any maps, as
Xastir can be configured to download tiger maps from the internet.

73,
Bob Nielsen, N7XY