[Xastir] XASTIR install?????

patrick friend friendps at attbi.com
Sun Oct 27 02:20:04 EST 2002

Bob,
    Guess I shoulda mentioned that. I downloaded both the 1.1.0-i386-1.tgz
and the 1.1.0.tar.gz files from Source Forge...tried the tar -x command and
unzip commands without luck...still think I am missing something simple that
everybody assumes everybody else knows...so which one do I use and which
command will unpack the thing...I assume from there I do a "cd" to that
directory and then a "./configure" to set it up, correct?
    I've done DOS, years ago - started out with a c64 in 1984, then an
Amstrad 8086 late in 86, then eventually moved to win 3.1, 95, 98, and now
XPpro...but the Linux commands are of course all different...so this is all
new to me. Even the books seem to concentrate on graphical use with Gnome or
KMD and using the RPM packages, kinda glossing over the command-line
interface. So it seems it's the unpacking/extracting thing that's giving me
fits...and ok, I'll bite on the other thing as well: what's a "CVS"? Yeah, I
know, probably stupid questions, but I gotta start somewhere. <grin>
thanks again...patrick.