[Xastir] XASTIR install?????

KC7ZRU - Tate kc7zru at arrl.net
Sun Oct 27 02:38:26 EST 2002

patrick friend wrote:

> Bob,
>     Guess I shoulda mentioned that. I downloaded both the 1.1.0-i386-1.tgz
> and the 1.1.0.tar.gz files from Source Forge...tried the tar -x command and
> unzip commands without luck...still think I am missing something simple that
> everybody assumes everybody else knows...so which one do I use and which
> command will unpack the thing...I assume from there I do a "cd" to that
> directory and then a "./configure" to set it up, correct?

Yup - what you do is:
Download the tar.gz file into your /home/<user> directory
ensure that your /home/<user> is your current directory (cd /home/<user
)
then run the command:
tar zxvf filename.tar.gz (or filename.tgz)
You'll now have a new directory called /home/<user>/filename
cd filename
and you can run:
./configure (the ./ tells things to not go looking around for the
command, it's in the current directory. Unlike the MS world, *nix
doesn't automatically look in the current directory for stuff. The
earlier 'tar' command works because it's in the system path and the
target file, 'filename.tar.gz' is in the current directory and is passed
as an argument.)

>From there - follow the README.1ST
The guys have done a lot of work getting it into it's current helpful
state.

>     I've done DOS, years ago - started out with a c64 in 1984, then an
> Amstrad 8086 late in 86, then eventually moved to win 3.1, 95, 98, and now
> XPpro...but the Linux commands are of course all different...so this is all
> new to me. Even the books seem to concentrate on graphical use with Gnome or
> KMD and using the RPM packages, kinda glossing over the command-line
> interface. So it seems it's the unpacking/extracting thing that's giving me
> fits...

Not a lot from the ol DOS days will carry over - some, but not a lot.

> and ok, I'll bite on the other thing as well: what's a "CVS"? Yeah, I
> know, probably stupid questions, but I gotta start somewhere. <grin>
> thanks again...patrick.

CVS stands for "Concurrent Versions System"
(http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/) it's a way for several authors to
work on a project, keep their own copies as current as the CVS servers
and share their work as it's ready. To get the most current, bleeding
edge (and likely least buggy) copy of xastir, get it from the CVS
server. Instructions are in the README.1ST file

Good luck!

73

--
              Casper, WY    |    CARC Repeater