[Xastir] XASTIR install?????

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Oct 27 07:55:25 EST 2002

OK.  Let's start with a couple of basics.
1.  You're not stupid.  (Or if you are, I can't assess it from this
range.)
2.  You got a book and read it.  You got RedHat installed.
3.  You downloaded the xastir files.

These are what we have as facts to work with...

Now you're about to embark on what it means to be a geek, because you're
gonna install a bt of software and then compile a program.

First, a word of caution.  Don't do all your work in linux (or any of
the other *nix) as root.  The position is a special use deal.  *AS ROOT*
go edit the file /etc/sudoers and add your personal user into that, and
do all root-required things using the 'sudo' command.  This is a little
thing, almost a "style" thing, but you'll thank me later.

Go into the directory where you stored the xastir files.  While this
isn't necessarily always the same, in my case, it's
'/home/gerry/xastir/' which helps me keep track of it.  There is a file
entitled 'README.1st' which you need to go through.  It tells you what
needs to be downloaded and installed and in what order.  While this is
not mandatory, I found it beneficial to download all these from their
various sources, and locate them in the xastir directory.  Most are
available as RedHat RPMs.  For the time being, 'til you're more
comfortable with autoconf, configure and make, that's the best way to
go.  Later, I expect you may find it easier and more beneficial to get
source code, and compile and install it from scratch... gives you more
control.  Also, keep your RedHat CDs around:  In the general install,
they might not have included some of the "stuff" (technical term) you'll
need for xastir, like ImageMagick and OpenMotif.

When you're looking for updates and security patches... oh, yes:  If
this computer's gonna be accessible on the internet, you need the
updates and security patches desperately... I recommend
ftp://ftp.freshrpms.net for accessing them.  They do a pretty good job
at keeping up.  Other sites I use because of speed and well maintained
archives are ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu and ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu .
http://www.rpmfind.net can be useful and can also be confusing at times.

If you bought RedHat and have support, you also have 60 or so free days'
use of the RedHat Network for updates using Up2Date.

Get the security patches into their own directory, *REMOVE* the kernel
files from that directory and place them somewhere else in their own
directory (RPM updates of kernels requires some special handling, but is
worth it), then reread yourt book's RPM chapter concentrating on the
Freshen flag.  Install the patches using the Freshen flag and go get a
cup of coffee.

Now, with the files you needed for xastir in place, and security in
better shape, move into the xastir directory, and type './configure' and
let the program work for you.  At the end, it'll tell you what's
available and what's not, for your installation.  If something's
missing, it's a more intelligible way for the beginner to get the info,
and you can come back with "It says Festival isn't installed, and I want
my PC to talk to me. What do I do?" and we have a better shot at helping.

After you've run 'configure' then, type 'make' and let xastir compile.
Then, as root, or using your sudo capabilities, do a 'make install' (I
do a 'sudo make install') and let make install the files where it's
supposed to.

THEN you can type 'xastir &' and it should play.

I'm on the road with spotty e-mail capability for the next 2 weeks.
I'll be checking and responding as often as I can, but there's aslew of
knowledgable folks here to help.

It looks a little daunting at first, but I don't have *any* windows
machines anymore, save my new little Toshiba handheld (and I'm thinking
it's going Linux soon...) so, it' possible to wean yourself off Redmond.
  It doesn't even hurt too much!

Feel free to drop me e-mail directly with questions, or look for n5jxs
on AIM (that's 'gaim' in Linux).

73, gerry n5jxs