[Xastir] XASTIR install?????

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 30 00:27:10 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, patrick friend wrote:

> Note to Curt: The reason I downloaded the 1.1.0-i386 file initially (and the
> reason it shows so many DLs on SourceForge I bet) is it's the first file
> listed as "stable" and it has that "i386" architecture in the file name.
> That i386 part is listed in my RedHat book as being one of the things one is
> supposed to look for when looking for files that are compatible with Red
> Hat. I'm sure other newbies like me have come to the same conclusion.

Yea, and nobody clicks on the link to the left of it (the notes) that
specify what it's for.  I'd like to hide that file so that nobody
else is led astray by it.  Better to install from tarball.

>     Does Linux follow the convention that the "stable" file is the OR
> (Official Release) version and the other ones are alpha and beta versions or
> should I just DL the newest release from SourceForge?

Well, we kind of do our own thing I guess.  Typically (except for
perhaps a few hours here and there) the CVS version of Xastir is
awfully stable.  It's usually more bug-free than the "stable"
versions or any of the development releases.  If major bugs get
fixed, another development release occurs.  If enough time passes
and little bugs get fixed/features added, development releases
occur.  I've been trying to do a development release roughly every
two weeks.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I'd highly encourage you to run the latest development release if
you're not wanting to tackle CVS.  Once you do convert to CVS though,
you can update any time and have exactly the same version that the
developers are running.  I assure you that the developers don't like
their Xastir crashing either.

On the Xastir CVS page are instructions for the two lines to type in
to start running CVS.  Just replace "modulename" with Xastir on the
one line.

Once you do the initial checkout, you can change to the xastir
directory at any time and type "cvs update" to get the latest
patches installed.  It only downloads the changes to the files,
not the entire files after that point.  Then "make install" and
you're running the latest.  Easy isn't it?

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer