[Xastir] New Stuff

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Sep 19 12:25:33 EDT 2002

Any comments on the map index stuff?  The "TrackMe" stuff?
Like/Don't like?  TrackMe is persistent across reboots as well, so
those people trying to use it in a mobile situation for moving maps
will have an easier time of it now.  Speed-sensitive zooming might
be next in line.

The map indexes really speed things up, particularly if you have a
lot of maps selected or are using automaps.  We could do a bunch
more optimization there as well:

1) Storing/retrieving the index in memory as a hash would be one.

2) Using the map index extents when actually drawing the map would
be another.  Right now we just do a quick check to see if it fits
the viewport.  If it does, we throw those values away and calculate
them again in the map drawing functions.

3) We could also change the code so that the index is recalculated
only for those map files that have a newer timestamp than the map
index file.  If none are newer, skip the indexing.

I changed the name of "winmaps.sys" to "selected_maps.sys".  If you
delete the line containing "winmaps.sys" from your "xastir.cnf" file
or start Xastir up with no config file, it'll create the new
filename.  Something about having "win" in the filename always
bugged me.  ;-)

Fresh installs of Xastir will get the new filename by default.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin