[Xastir] Xastir on multibands

Bill Vodall - WA7NWP wa7nwp at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 29 16:33:39 EDT 2002

At 02:53 PM 9/29/02 -0500, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>Er... ah... this reeks of "router" functionality.  Oh.  Sorry.  Forgot.  We don't ROUTE ax.25.  Now if we were using tcp/ip or ipv6...

Not routing.  Simply "Igating" changed to "Agating" for ax25.   Xastir is the closest
there is today for doing this in a single application.   If Xastir is to be an Igate, no
reason it can't also easily also be an Agate.

Adding this functionality to APRSD was discussed and probably started.  That programs
architecture made it a truly challenging opportunity.   With Xastirs relatively unlimited
list of interfaces, it "may" be easy to do this and achieve a "low hanging fruit" win.

If it isn't easy, I agree that it should be in an dedicated application.  Of course the
same could easily be said for Igating.

Bill