[Xastir] Some advice on a dedicated Xastir box please?

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 09:21:47 EST 2003

"Curt Mills, WE7U" wrote:
> Might be fun to see what the lowest-end system is that Xastir could
> run on.  I should still have a 386SX-20 motherboard or two laying
> around and enough parts to make them function...

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly the 386SX's are 286
pinout chips.  They use the old 286 memory lines, so you can get away
with using only 1 memory chip per bank, and the newer 386DX's use the 4
chips per bank.  I'm thinking you would need a bare minimum 386DX chip
to run the Linux, seeing how it is a 32bit OS.

Now I know I have an old TI/AMD 40Mhz DX chip laying around here
somewheres.  Now that would be a project.

Dick R.