[Xastir] Xastir RPM's

Chuck Milam KF9FR at arrl.net
Wed Apr 2 14:04:41 EST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> The problem with an RPM is that they get outdated very quickly, they
> hang around past their usefulness, they are specific to a
> distribution and version number of the OS, and it takes someone
> familiar with each OS in order to create/test the proper RPM.

True.  However:

Many people are comfortable with RPMs and are not comfortable with
building and installing from source.  I personally prefer the RPMS, because
it allows me to keep the cruft down on my system.  RPM allows me to know
exactly what package owns a file I come across, for example.

How about a compromise?  Include an RPM spec file in the Xastir tarballs
and CVS source so those that wish to build their own RPMs can do so, using
the "rpmbuild" tricks.

Just a thought.

--
Chuck Milam