[Xastir] Xastir RPM's

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Apr 2 13:54:43 EST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Rich Garcia wrote:

> A RPM would probably help those hams that are not Linux literate try out the
> program and see if they are interested or not, maybe even take up Linux for
> other ventures. I will eventually get it going either way but some may not
> be as patient as I.

The problem with an RPM is that they get outdated very quickly, they
hang around past their usefulness, they are specific to a
distribution and version number of the OS, and it takes someone
familiar with each OS in order to create/test the proper RPM.

For the most part, it's accepted practice in the open-source world
to create source distributions that require "configure;make;make
install" in order to use them.  People who are used to Unix are used
to doing that.  It becomes second nature very quickly.

I personally feel that once we have the next stable release (soon!),
the OS vendors will grab the sources and create the proper
.tgz/.rpm/.deb files for their distributions, else advanced users of
those OS's will create them and put them in the contrib directories
of the OS download sites.

Just one man's opinion though.  Take it for what it's worth.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin