[Xastir] Some advice on a dedicated Xastir box please?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Apr 2 15:28:28 EST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, James Jefferson wrote:

> Let's see. Slackware on a 386-12 with 4 megabytes of ram took about 20 hours
> to compile a very stripped down 2.0.0 kernel. This was for my amateur radio
> <--> e-mail gateway about 6 years ago. We actually went to the trouble of
> setting of a cross compiler on our ISP's SPARC 20 to compile most
> applications. I don't remember if we ever cross compiled our kernel. Ahh the
> joys. :-)

A 12 MHz 386?  You beat me!  Wait, was that a 386DX or an SX?  My
SX-20 was probably equivalent to a 386DX-10 in terms of speed ('cuz
of the I/O bottleneck), so perhaps I'm still in the running!

I do remember starting a compile and walking away from it, 'cuz it
wasn't particularly interesting watching it.  Nothing moved on the
screen for a LONG time.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin