[Xastir] new user -- interface with AGW packet engine?

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 5 13:01:56 EST 2003

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Dwarvish Oakenshield wrote:

>  Curt, so the way for me to go with this right now is out thru
> a serial port to a TNC?  That will also be problematical -- my
> laptop has only USB and LPT1 ports.  So, use a USB-to-serial
> adapter -- but since i'm running Cygwin not Linux, i'm wondering
> if Xastir will be able to do that... ?

Couldn't tell you offhand.  I _am_ working on getting Xastir to
connect via socket 8000 to AGWPE.  I'm currently running Xastir on
Linux and AGWPE on a Win95 laptop next to me, but there's no reason
that Xastir/Cygwin wouldn't be able to connect to localhost:8000
(same box) as well.

Just for the record, I don't much care to run things on Windows, but
at times it is necessary (but those times are getting fewer and fewer
between!).  I'm playing with this stuff because nobody else has any
interest in doing it, and because friends of mine could use it.

I don't have the login packet correct yet, but if I turn off all
security in AGWPE, Xastir connects ok and is showing up in AGWPE's
log file.  Have a way to go yet to be operational though.  Right now
I'm concentrating on getting the frame format correct and then will
attempt to receive some packets.  After that I'll go after transmit.

Anybody who has AGWPE up and running with DSL or Cablemodem:
I could use an AGWPE instance to connect to for experiments!  Since
I'm only working on receive right now, I shouldn't be trashing the
airwaves with bad packets.

Once I get the login packet correct and get valid responses from
AGWPE for queries (I think I got one valid response so far!), I
should be able to connect to a remote instance of AGWPE for further
experimentation.  If I can't find an instance out there to use, I'll
try to set up a KISS TNC on the serial port under AGWPE as a source
of packets.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer