[Xastir] cvs update

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 7 00:41:17 EDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Orrin Winton wrote:

> Add'l info on the two directories for xastir i now have:
>
> ~/src/xastir   has the code i downloaded the first time
> ~/src/xastir2/xastir has the 2nd download.
>

> So my last question becomes:  do i follow Step 6) and do:
>
> cd ~/src/xastir2/xastir
> ./bootstrap.sh
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> I don't know exactly what the bootstrap.sh script and the
> configure are doing, hence my question: do i do those again.

Normally you wouldn't have to do the bootstrap.sh and configure steps
if you've already configured Xastir once.  Since you're working on a
brand-new set of source code though, you need to do that.
bootstrap.sh creates some files needed by configure.  Configure then
examines your system to see what tools are available to use in order
to compile Xastir, and what extra libraries are available for Xastir
to use.  Configure then creates "Makefile" files that are used during
the make and make install portions of the process.

If you start from a fresh snapshot of the sources like you just did
you need to start at the bootstrap.sh step.  If you add additional
libraries to your system that Xastir might be able to use, then you
start at the configure step.

If/when you get to the stage that the "xastir2" sources make and
install correctly and you're happy with that version of Xastir, you
can then remove the "xastir" directory and rename the "xastir2"
directory back to "xastir".  That way you'll only have one directory
to worry about again.

	cd /home/<user>/src
	rm -rf xastir
	mv xastir2 xastir

The reason that I suggested making the "xastir2" directory was so that
you wouldn't lose your other downloaded sources, in case the new CVS
download didn't work for some reason.  Just covering the bases.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer