[Xastir] My Solaris compling error

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Thu Apr 10 15:25:07 EDT 2003

> Ok.  Since my last mail to the list, I've done some research on my own
> and learned a few things.
>
> I run Solaris on Sparc Hardware, Sun Motif.  My last successfull build
> was 3-16.   When I updated the CVS around 3-25, I couldn't get it
> compile and got this message:
> In file included from maps.c:56:
> /usr/dt/share/include/Xm/XpmI.h:284: parse error before
> `XpmAttributes_21'

Yes, Jack and I have been debating how to fix this.  I will check in
my fix until we decide if there is a better one.

> /* Define to 1 if you have the <X11/xpm.h> header file. */
> #define HAVE_X11_XPM_H 1
>
> /* Define to 1 if you have the <Xm/XpmI.h> header file. */
> #define HAVE_XM_XPMI_H 1
>
> So from what I understand, even though I had the XpmI.header lying
> around before, the old configure wasn't finding it, and for some reason
> I didn't need it before.  The new configure is obviously smart enough to
> find it, but I don't completely understand why I need it now.
>
> So I've commented out the include XpmI.h line out of maps.c and the
> latest CVS complied the rest of the way.  And it seems to work the same
> as before.
>
> I hope I've done better this time in helping you guys diagnose the
> problem.

You hit it on the nose.  Solaris Motif has the xpm library embedded
inside, but is hard to find (the XpmI.h crud).  You have a "real" xpm
library installed as well.  My patch will "prefer" the external one,
so should fix your problem, and have no effect on anyone else.

Chris.
KD6ZWR