[Xastir] My Solaris compling error

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 14:22:37 EDT 2003

Ok.  Since my last mail to the list, I've done some research on my own
and learned a few things.

I run Solaris on Sparc Hardware, Sun Motif.  My last successfull build
was 3-16.   When I updated the CVS around 3-25, I couldn't get it
compile and got this message:
In file included from maps.c:56:
/usr/dt/share/include/Xm/XpmI.h:284: parse error before
`XpmAttributes_21'

What I did today:

I was using the html CVS browser to compare diffs betwen 3/15 and now.
The one that stuck out the most was the changes in the Ifdef section
from maps.c.  So I downloaded the snapshot from 3-14.  I ran ./configure
from the snapshot and came up with this output.

/* Define to 1 if you have the `Xm' library (-lXm). */
#define HAVE_LIBXM 1

/* Define to 1 if you have the `Xp' library (-lXp). */
#define HAVE_LIBXP 1

/* Define to 1 if you have the `Xpm' library (-lXpm). */
#define HAVE_LIBXPM 1

/* Define to 1 if you have the <Xm/Xm.h> header file. */
#define HAVE_XM_XM_H 1

/* Define if XPM is present. */
#define HAVE_XPM 1

/* Define if Xm/XmpI.h is used. */
/* #undef HAVE_XPMI */

Note that under the 3-14 snapshot this last one is undef'ed.

This is a clip from my current CVS config.h

/* Define to 1 if you have the <X11/xpm.h> header file. */
#define HAVE_X11_XPM_H 1

/* Define to 1 if you have the <Xm/Xm.h> header file. */
#define HAVE_XM_XM_H 1

/* Define to 1 if you have the <Xm/XpmI.h> header file. */
#define HAVE_XM_XPMI_H 1

So from what I understand, even though I had the XpmI.header lying
around before, the old configure wasn't finding it, and for some reason
I didn't need it before.  The new configure is obviously smart enough to
find it, but I don't completely understand why I need it now.

So I've commented out the include XpmI.h line out of maps.c and the
latest CVS complied the rest of the way.  And it seems to work the same
as before.

I hope I've done better this time in helping you guys diagnose the
problem.

Dick R - KC8OBZ

PS: does this make me a C debugger?
PPS: is that even worth a line on a resume nowadays? (^8
PPPS: Have a laugh occasionally.  It helps.