[Xastir] More fun with shapefiles

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Apr 11 11:45:46 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:

> With the help of some other users, I've identified useful
> shapefiles and downloaded a whole mess of them.  Now when I start
> up, I get almost exactly what I see with the online tigermaps but
> I don't get the fills and I have many red X's with numbers next to
> them.  I also get shloads of these messages when redrawing the
> screen:

> draw_rotated_label_text: Couldn't get font
> -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> Couldn't open file for appending:

> I've seen the latter a lot in the past and I don't recall the
> right way to fix it, but the former is more of a concern to me.
> What is the proper way to fix this?

The fills:  Go into Maps->Map Chooser->Properties and set the fill
bit for each layer and map that you want to be filled.

Red X's with number eh?  Try to figure out which layer is doing
that.  It may be a layer that we haven't implemented specific code
for.  Only a few of the more useful layers were done.  It's likely
that you're hitting the generic code that happened to find a label
on a layer that we didn't implment support for.  Only some of the
layers are useful (in my opinion anyway) for what we're doing.  Turn
off or delete the others.

As far as the font, you might want to see if you have installed some
of the X-fonts.  I tried to pick something that looked reasonable
and might be on most systems, but of course some people install
different sets of fonts, so some won't be found.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin