[Xastir] Saving Map Properties

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Apr 11 14:10:09 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Neil Morris wrote:

> I like the 'map properties' feature but I can't work out how to save what I've
> entered. I assumed 'save config now' would do it but every time I restart
> they've all reset. At present I don't have a lot of maps installed so this
> isn't a major problem but I can see it becoming a nightmare once I've added
> the rest of them.

You might have a permissions problem somewhere.  Have you been
sometimes running as root, and sometimes as a normal user?

Make sure the permissions on your ~/.xastir directory are correct
for normal users, and then do this:

    cd ~/.xastir        (Make sure you're in the correct place now)
    su                  (Become root)
    chmod -R u+w *      (Add owner-write to the permissions)
    chown -R <user> *   (Change ownership of all files/dirs here)
    exit                (Exit from root)

That should give you write permission for all of your files and
change the owner to the one specified (replace "<user>" with your
username, like "hacker" or whatever you use.  Don't type the '<' or
'>' characters).

> On the subject of maps, are the ones that were on ftp.rutgers.edu available
> anywhere else as that server doesn't seem to work any more?

I don't tend to use the aprsDOS/winAPRS maps much these days.  I use
Shapefiles much more.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin