[Xastir] Still installing. . . . . . .

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Wed Apr 23 14:43:19 EDT 2003

Try a 2.4 GHz P4 with 1 GB RAM, it's MUCH faster!

I believe you said you are installing Debian.  Although it has less
bloat than most distros, it still is much bigger than it used to be.
You can actually get by without everything that the default
configuration wants to install.  Of course, until you have done it a
few times, it's hard to know what to cut out.  When I installed Debian
on my P133/32MB firewall machine, it took a few hours without
installing X.

Once I did a major upgrade via a 28K dialup connection which took all
night to download and a few hours more to complete the installation.
Then I compiled a new kernel on the 486, which took most of the next
day.

Be patient, it will be worth the effort.

73,

Bob, N7XY

Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy at n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net