[Xastir] A snapshot of the missing island

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Fri Apr 25 16:16:39 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <Curt> writes:

Curt> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Jack Twilley wrote: It could be.  There's
Curt> one minor little itty bitty piece of the Shapefile spec that we
Curt> didn't implement.  It has to do with the direction of the
Curt> polygon, whether it is clockwise or counterclockwise.  One
Curt> direction means do a fill.  The other means it's a hole in the
Curt> polygon.  We didn't implement the hole.  Our donuts look more
Curt> like biscuits.

Jack> If there's no donut hole, there's no island.  Right?  What about
Jack> a lake in the center of an island in the center of a bay?  Am I
Jack> the only one who actually wonders about these things? :-)

Curt> An island in the lake on the island in the center of the bay?

Curt> A lake on the island in the lake on the island in the center of
Curt> the bay?

Curt> Yea, you _are_ the only one that thinks about these things, and
Curt> it's kind'a scary.

In all seriousness, this kind of issue looks like something that was
resolved by at least one other person in the past.  Maybe looking for
prior art will help?  I don't know.  I'm new to the graphical side of
the house.

Jack> I've made these files available on my website:

Curt> I'll go look at those in a minute or two.

Jack> I don't seem to have shpdump, but ogrinfo tells me plenty about
Jack> the shapefiles.  They have two polygons, one of which appears to
Jack> be the island in question.

Curt> It should be in either the main directory for Shapelib or in the
Curt> contrib/ directory in Shapelib.  You may have to type "make" in
Curt> the contrib directory to get it.  Copy
Curt> dbfinfo/dbfdump/shpinfo/shpdump into /usr/local/bin for future
Curt> use.

The shapelib port only installs the libraries, not the drivers.  I'll
be working on GDAL this weekend anyway.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley