[Xastir] Somewhat OT: Updating Linux

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sat Apr 26 13:01:38 EDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:05:52AM -0400, Rich Garcia wrote:
> OK guys.. somewhat off topic but this is the best forum I know to get a
> solid fast reply. Since Xastir is the only thing I plan on working with on
> Linux I guess it is on topic. I am almost ready to install RH9, I currently
> have RH8 in there and got 1 more .iso to download for RH9. I use GRUB with
> Win2K on my first disk and RH8 on a second disk. I would like to fully
> delete RH8 from the second disk and install RH9 as a clean install.
>
> How can I dump RH8 AND GRUB so that my PC is back to a normal Win2K box only
> ? I have never been able to remove GRUB in the past. Once I get to that
> point then I will re-install RH9. I had difficulties installing RH8 because
> it would not see my ATI All in Wonder PCI card, I ended up installing a old
> Voodoo 3 TV/FM card in there and finally got it to work. I want to be sure
> that I have a 100% clean install this time, there may be a mess in my old
> install because of the errors when I first installed.

I recomment that you do not delete grub, just edit menu.lst after
installing RH9 to point to the correct kernel.  Or is grub on the
second disk?  I've never used it that way (where are the associated
files?)

I haven't used Win2K, but with older versions, booting to DOS and
running "fdisk/mbr" would remove any bootloader such as lilo or grub.

To completely remove RH8, just delete all partitions on the second disk
using Linux fdisk.  This should work from a running system, although
Tom's RTBT is nice for this kind of stuff.

73,
Bob N7XY