[Xastir] interesting shapefile experiment

vic ke4lkq at shentel.net
Sun Aug 17 10:44:14 EDT 2003

Thank you very much, Gerry for responding.... I am getting very frustrated
with this.

  I thought the same thing for awhile and have tried to be sure everyting is
referenced.

  The thing that blows my mind is that I can run bootstrap.sh on a FRESH cvs
download on the 9.1 box (as if xastir was never on the 9.1 box), move the
source tree to the 9.0 box, run condfigure, than move the source tree back to
the 9.1 box, run make, and the executable will work everytime. Make picks up
shapefile support just fine.  Only when I perform configure on the 9.1 box
(after bootstrap, etc.) and then compile and install does the executable fail
to support shapefiles.  Compiling, installing and running is done on the 9.1
box. Shapefile and other extrnal libs for Xastir are  identically installed
on each box, version and everything.

I even see the maps come and go in the map list depending on which executable
is run. Reindexing works with an error to screen of  *** Uknown map type
(shapefile name) for the executable configured on the 9.1 box.

I do not know programming hardly at all, but it looks to me like the configure
script is a perl script and maybe it's a perl issue. Or maybe configure calls
some other script during its operation and the problem could be there.

How is it possible for the configure script to come up with so diffrerent
outcomes against the same external libraries, same rpm and same sources?
Configure even says shapefile support will be compiled in, when run on the 9.1
box, and the compile says lshp during linking, but the exe. only sees the
dir. the shape files are in and not the *.shp files.

Sorry for being long winded, I don't know how to explain it any other way...

Thanks again and best regards,

Victor