[Xastir] required libs for configure

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Aug 30 11:03:37 EDT 2003

First thing to remember is, RPM is a decent package manager, but it's
still a few lightyears from perfect.

The gnomeRPM package tool (gui interface) is a useful thing if you're
not conversant with RPM; I'm pretty sure KDE has something similar but
I've not gone that deep; I'm a command-line kinda guy.

NOW: If you want to se what you've got installed (via RPM), it's not, as
implied by the MAN page, rpm -a...  More like 'rpm -qa|grep ...' like this:
[gerry at home gerry]$ rpm -qa|grep -i xfree
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-2
XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2
XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-2
XFree86-xfs-4.3.0-2
XFree86-xauth-4.3.0-2
XFree86-tools-4.3.0-2
XFree86-font-utils-4.3.0-2
XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-twm-4.3.0-2
redhat-config-xfree86-0.7.3-2
XFree86-base-fonts-4.3.0-2
XFree86-4.3.0-2
XFree86-xdm-4.3.0-2
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-2
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2

Oh, and RPM is not invoked, unless you're using the xastir rpms, for a
normal install... And further, not all of the ancillary packages, when
someone creates them, put files where you, or I, or someone else's
program, expect to find them.  For example, libs might not be in the
paths specified in /etc/ld.so.conf OR the package might not have rerun,
as root, /sbin/ldconfig.

As a generalization, I use RedHat's RPMs to do a basic install, and to
update same with real RedHat packages.  For non-RedHat packages, I tend
to get the tarballs (*.tar.gz or *.tgz) and build and install from
source.  Having the capability to do this is something most folks
interested in installing their own software should develop as a skill,
and it'll make you popular with your friends when THEY are getting
started and need some help :-)

Now: On the subject of updates.  I know some who have used Up2Date and
had good results with it.  I'm not in that legion.  My update method is
cumbersome but it works.  But the important thing here is this:  I DO
THE UPDATES, especially the security updates.

Generally, you'll find that a depenency will call for a newer version of
the code than you have.  Occasionally, you'll see a call for a specific
version.  While we've some issues in xastir where this'd be nice
(ImageMagick comes to mind) I don't think I recall seeing this.  Most
programs look for a minimum level and that's that.

Hope this has helped.  RedHat isn't always the easiest to interpret, but
it remains, IMHO, just about the best for a newbie to play with.

<flamebait>
I've tried debian and SuSE, and had problems.  debian puts files where
Solaris would like them and I was an old SunOS admin.  Solaris is
confused, IMO.  The copies of SuSE I've gotten wouldn't ever load and I
didn't have time to beat my head against the wall.

I really prefer Slackware, mainly because that's what I started on.

I switched to RedHat for package management, something Slack just never
has gotten right, but if you have ever dealt with the Slackware
maintainer, you'll understand that he's of the opinion that asking for
help is a sign of weekness, and everyone SHOULD install everything from
tarballs.

GenToo is the favorite of one of my grad students.  It looks like it'll
evolve to a useful distro one day, but until it can install a useful
image without building all the packages from scratch from a network,
it's not there.  Ben took 3 days to get GenToo up on the 2 test machines
I gave him, but unfortunately, I could get a similar RH installation up
in an hour.  Guess which way I decided we were going.

Simply put, I've stabilized these days on RH for pragmatic purposes
rather than ideology.

Oh, and while I'm here, while I think RH9 has some nices touches, as
long as 7.3 is supported and expanded as their enterprise platform, I'm
rolling back major systems to 7.3 and keeping THEM up to date!  I
suspect RedHat's ultimate strategy is to have an annual and
less-supported release on the whole number scheme (notice that we went
from RH8.0 to RH9, rather than 9.0) and to support their enterprise,
high availability and cluster customers on an older and more stable base.

</flamebait>

All that said, if there are questions I can answer, I'll be glad to try.

73, gerry