[Xastir] required libs for configure

Byron Smith wa6ylb at theworks.com
Fri Aug 29 22:33:10 EDT 2003

Sorry for this to be this long. Please read though it all.

At 09:41 PM 08/29/2003 +1200, you wrote:
>I struck this today, when I installed RedHat 9.0 workstation install.  Xastir
>wouldn't compile, said that the X Libs were not there.
>
>I stuck the discs back in (Package Manager came up) and ticked the X
>Developement section and it came right.

I think I have found a problem. I too have placed the RH9.0 cd back in but
this is
the problem. I've tried to install the X development package, but the
dependances have shown that I dont have a couple of packages installed...

or it would appear... the plot thickens.

The RH9.0 box here has received the updates from RH's FTP site. (update
utility)
In as such, the CDhelper utility, to add or remove packages, doesnt find the
same version numbers that were originally installed or exist on the CDrom.
(smoke rolling from my ears about now)

For instance, when attempting to install the X development stuff, it
says I need to have:

Krb5-libs version 1.2.7-10
and
openssl version 0.9.7a-2

When I did rpm -q -a krb5-libs and the same for openssl,
they exist, but as a newer package:

Krb5-libs version 1.2.7-14
openssl version 0.9.7a-5

So you see I'm stuck. I tried erasing the newer versions and installing the
original versions
but the RPM utility wont allow me to do so.

Unless I find out what constitutes X development from the CD rom, I'll have
to manually install
each package to do the same thing the redhat-cdinstaller-helper does.

The redhat-cdinstaller-helper doesnt consider seeing updated packages
existing. Very odd indeed.

  Hopefully someone will come back with the specific libraries, but if
>you have a package manager thingy like redhat does, stick disc one back in
>and install a bit more.

AH, if it were just so easy to do... :-(

>When you ask for help, It helps to say what distribution you are running. I'm
>a redhat guy,

RH 9.0

>  other people like other ones and can help with the specifics.
>
>When I run "rpm -q -a X*" I get XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2 and
>XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2
>that look like likely canidates. I suspect its the first that you need.
>(again this is specific to Redhat, and I expect a more knowledgable person
>may come up with more specific info)

Wierd. If I do the rpm -q -a on XFree* nothing shows.
If I do rpm -U XFree86-libs and the same for the devel package, it says they
both exist. Oh brother...

What a brick wall to run into. No wonder people say
linux has its moments.... (see head pounding on wall)

Byron Smith
wa6ylb at theworks.com

http://www.theworks.com/~wa6ylb

What was the best thing before sliced bread?