[Xastir] required libs for configure

Aaron ZL3UAR zl3uar at amayzing.co.nz
Fri Aug 29 05:41:25 EDT 2003

I struck this today, when I installed RedHat 9.0 workstation install.  Xastir
wouldn't compile, said that the X Libs were not there.

I stuck the discs back in (Package Manager came up) and ticked the X
Developement section and it came right.

I'm still a newbie too, but I figured out that if you only install RPM's then
you don't need any source files, however as soon as you find something that
comes in a tar.gz and needs a ./configure make thingy you will need the
source/header/lib files in there somewhere.

I cheat and usually do a complete install. (I also still run everything as
root!) Hopefully someone will come back with the specific libraries, but if
you have a package manager thingy like redhat does, stick disc one back in
and install a bit more.

When you ask for help, It helps to say what distribution you are running. I'm
a redhat guy, other people like other ones and can help with the specifics.

When I run "rpm -q -a X*" I get XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2 and XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2
that look like likely canidates. I suspect its the first that you need.
(again this is specific to Redhat, and I expect a more knowledgable person
may come up with more specific info)

Cheers,
Aaron ZL3UAR