[Xastir] required libs for configure

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sat Aug 30 15:01:00 EDT 2003

Hello Bryon,

At 21:54 28-8-03 -0700, Byron Smith wrote:
>Note from Chuck: Xastir should be able to compile (and run) on any
>"recent" Linux (x86) machine as long as the needed libs are available.

Well, at least it runs on RedHat 5.2 (4 year old? 2.0.36 kernel), so it
even runs on very old Linux systems... Of course you need extra packages
like LessTif and such and even newer packages of automake and gawk - which
are mostly TAR balls as RPM binaries for these old systems are not made
anymore. But it works and is stable.

>I've done the ./configure and it comes up and tells me to install
>X..  Sheeze, I was running a terminal window in X while  doing the
>./configure  when it told me this. Go figure.

Well, maybe the messages is clumsy and trying to tell you that you need the
development packages? I mean LessTif or Motif headerfiles and libraries.
You can run X but not compile X applications... This is just a longshot,
maybe RedHat moved some stuff on RH 9.0 causing configure to fail...

On my RH 5.2 system I have all optional libraries except festival; the
AX.25 libs of this version are not usable so I compile without kernel AX.25
support (I add access to the AX.25 kernel through an external program).

On my SuSE 7.3 system I have no problem at all with Xastir. I don't know
why your RH 9.0 fails.

Kind regards,

Henk.