[Xastir] KISS TNC tx delays

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Thu Dec 4 21:39:02 EST 2003

Up until a few days ago, I was using a serial TNC as my interface.  I switched
to a KISS TNC, put my TNC into KISS, and off I went.  A lot of the reason was
to eliminate a lot of the apparent delay from transmissions - for example, from
when I hit "transmit now!" to the actual transmission.

One thing I have noticed is that the delay is still there.  When xastir goes
to transmit, the STA light on the TNC lights up, and stays lit for a few seconds
before transmission.  I have seen a KISS TNC in operation while doing TCP/IP
work a few years ago, and know that it normally just flashes.

The TNC is a KPC-9612.  I believe it is currently running open squelch with
software CD.  The txdelay, slottime, and persist are all the default values,
and I changed txtail to 0.

Is this a normal behavior for a KISS TNC with xastir, or should it transmit
right away?  It causes some confusion when it relays packets as the relay is
transmitted a few seconds after the original packet.

Thanks and 73 - Matt