[Xastir] KISS TNC tx delays

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Thu Dec 4 21:50:37 EST 2003

Matt Werner wrote:
> One thing I have noticed is that the delay is still there.  When xastir goes
> to transmit, the STA light on the TNC lights up, and stays lit for a few seconds
> before transmission.  I have seen a KISS TNC in operation while doing TCP/IP
> work a few years ago, and know that it normally just flashes.
>
> The TNC is a KPC-9612.  I believe it is currently running open squelch with
> software CD.  The txdelay, slottime, and persist are all the default values,
> and I changed txtail to 0.
>
> Is this a normal behavior for a KISS TNC with xastir, or should it transmit
> right away?  It causes some confusion when it relays packets as the relay is
> transmitted a few seconds after the original packet.

I believe that any time Xastir talks to a TNC via the serial port directly,
it has a delay between characters so as not to foul up some slow TNCs. I
just installed the linux ax.25 parts and use it that way. It transmits with
less delay because Xastir just dumps the whole packet to the ax.25 system
which then dumps the whole thing to the TNC, not really caring much about
tripping up the slow TNCs.

I think. ;-)

-Lance

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.