[Xastir] XASTIR on RH Linux 7.1...

Dale Mosby dale at archcape.com
Fri Dec 5 18:48:26 EST 2003

I am running a Red hat 9 system at home.
I also picked up Xaster not long ago, and was quite
pleased to find that a configure/make/install gave
me a working system.

> But why are you running such an old version?

This question would apply to me as well I guess. I just
checked on the help->about box and I see that I am
running Xastir V1.2.0.

For me the answer is that mid-November I started playing
with APRS, did some web surfing and found Xastir, and was
happy to see it would run on my Linux box. I followed the
downloads link and chose the highest version number
listed under the "stable" heading.

It has proven to be stable, with only two minor "quirks" observed:
1) A couple times making a minor configuration change has
    stopped additional data from being received from the
    Internet. A program exit and restart has always fixed it.
2) When I right mouse click to bring up the options menu
    the screen goes blank (black) for 3 or 4 seconds.

If I had time to actually do any development with this I would
certainly pick up a recent release from the set titled "development".

If version 1.2.0 is really considered "such an old version", perhaps
it is approaching time to add a later version to the table labeled
"xastir-stable". Else folks like me that are just looking for a stable
version are likely to keep choosing the 1.2.0 version of Xastir.

All in all, it really is a great program and I compliment those
people that have created such a nice piece of software. I hope
to be able to return something to the APRS community in
the future.

73, Dale Mosby, K7FW
dale at archcape.com