[Xastir] KISS TNC tx delays

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Sat Dec 6 02:24:37 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Mills, WE7U" <hacker at tc.fluke.com>
To: "Matt Werner" <kb0kqa at arrl.net>
Cc: <xastir at xastir.org>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Xastir] KISS TNC tx delays

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Matt Werner wrote:
>
> > Up until a few days ago, I was using a serial TNC as my interface.  I
switched
> > to a KISS TNC, put my TNC into KISS, and off I went.  A lot of the
reason was
> > to eliminate a lot of the apparent delay from transmissions - for
example, from
> > when I hit "transmit now!" to the actual transmission.
> >
> > One thing I have noticed is that the delay is still there.  When xastir
goes
> > to transmit, the STA light on the TNC lights up, and stays lit for a few
seconds
> > before transmission.  I have seen a KISS TNC in operation while doing
TCP/IP
> > work a few years ago, and know that it normally just flashes.
> >
> > The TNC is a KPC-9612.  I believe it is currently running open squelch
with
> > software CD.  The txdelay, slottime, and persist are all the default
values,
> > and I changed txtail to 0.
> >
> > Is this a normal behavior for a KISS TNC with xastir, or should it
transmit
> > right away?  It causes some confusion when it relays packets as the
relay is
> > transmitted a few seconds after the original packet.
>
> I just added a new slider to the Configure->Timing dialog for
> setting the inter-character delay for serial ports.  You can set it
> from 0 to 50ms.  Test it out and see if that fixes your problem.
> The hard-coded setting was 25ms, in order to allow a picopacket to
> work.
>
> It's on the developer's CVS server now.  Sometime in the next few
> hours (or a few days?) it'll show up on the anon CVS server.

Curt -

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately, this didn't seem to change things.  I
tried it set to 0, 1, and 50ms.  The timing seems to have an effect, but not
very much.  When it was set to 0 and 1, my STA light on the TNC remains on
for about 16 seconds.  When it's set to 50ms, it remains on for about 19
seconds.

Any other ideas?

Thanks and 73 - Matt