[Xastir] KISS TNC tx delays

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Dec 6 13:14:07 EST 2003

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Matt Werner wrote:

> Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately, this didn't seem to change things.  I
> tried it set to 0, 1, and 50ms.  The timing seems to have an effect, but not
> very much.  When it was set to 0 and 1, my STA light on the TNC remains on
> for about 16 seconds.  When it's set to 50ms, it remains on for about 19
> seconds.
>
> Any other ideas?

But of course!

Which setup file are you using for your TNC, assuming that you're
running normal serial TNC interface instead of a KISS interface?

I think there's another delay or two in the interface code after
sending each line.  Just have to track those down.  Doing a quick
grep for "usleep" in interface.c, I see ones ranging from 10us to
3secs.  There are four 3-second delays and a 1.5-second delay that
look suspicious.

1.5 seconds - output_my_data().  Suspicious placement.
3.0 seconds - in del_device().  That's probably ok.

So... It's probably the 1.5 second delay that's doing it to you.  Are
there perhaps about 10 or 11 lines in the tnc startup file you're
using?  That would make about 15 or 16 seconds.

Is it doing the 16 seconds every time you transmit, or just on
startup of the interface?  There could be other delays that are
adding up to make 16 seconds in a normal transmission.  If so, let's
track those down now while we're thinking about it.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer