[Xastir] Question on site survey

Gerry Creager (N5JXS) gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Dec 8 23:50:41 EST 2003

Excellent point.  However, I'm pretty familiar with how the OnCore does
its math, and I've compared it to post-processed data from Trimble and
Ashtech receivers, producing documented NAD83 coordinates.

The GPS ICD (ICD-GPS-200, currently, I think [the docs are at home or
with KJ5O] REV C) tells you how to do the math.  If you don't do it
right, you get a different answer.  Magellan had a conscious decision to
use integer math and take some shortcuts in their matrix manipulations
to save money overall, and try to capture the sub-$100 market.  from my
perspective, that was a mistake and it took a long time for them to
decide to do it right.

If a programmer took an unauthorized shortcut in the Garmin code, well,
that'd be problemmatic.

gerry