[Xastir] Map Properties/dbfawk: Time to rethink?

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Dec 11 15:22:26 EST 2003

This is being sent to both lists in order to get a broader set of
opinions:

With the impending integration of the GDAL/OGR library, we need to
start thinking about how to specify all of the properties of a map.
Hopefully in a very general way that would extend across all vector
and raster map types.

I've seen files on the 'net, generated by GIS programs, which appear
to have columns to specify which map layer each feature will be on,
font size, line widths, and similar things.  Obviously they had to
solve similar problems to what we're facing.

Does it make sense to extend the dbfawk stuff to all vector maps?
Raster maps?  Perhaps integrate it into Xastir more fully?

I'd like to see an extremely fast implementation, with a GUI
interface to change all of the options.  The user shouldn't have to
edit map preference files by hand.

Comments?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin